Friday, September 3, 2010

Psalm 119

Today I read Psalm 119 in my personal devotions. The whole chapter is so beautiful! My summary of Psalm chapter 119:

Delight in God's law, love God's law, meditate on God's law, never forsake God's law. God's law is righteous, true, and never fails. Period.

In this chapter, David is constantly talking about the law of God. I counted the references to God's word in this chapter. Here are my results:

References to "your law(s)": 25
References to "your testimonies": 22
References to "your precepts": 19
References to "your statutes": 22
References to "your command(s) or commandment(s)": 23
References to "your rules": 17
References to "your word(s)": 28
References to "your promise(s)": 11

Total number of references to God's word: 167

Is that amazing or what?!?! There are 176 verses in chapter 119, and David talks about the Bible 167 different times! Now understand, that I found these numbers by going through the chapter and counting them, and I could have easily missed a couple.

Reading this chapter this morning, I just sort of realized (not for the first time) how important it is to God that we delight in His Word.

Here are some verses from Psalm 119 that I really liked:

Verse 9
"How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to Your Word."

Verse 34
"Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart."

Verse 75
"I know, O Lord, that your rules are righteous, and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me."

Verse 89
"Forever, O Lord, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens."

Verse 97
"Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day."

Verses 130-131
"The unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the simple. I open my mouth and pant, because I long for your commandments."

Verse 137
"Righteous are you, O Lord, and right are your rules."

Verse 160
"The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever."


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments! As you leave them, please keep in mind Ephesians 4:29: "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." Thank you!